Testing Equipment rack with mixed class equipment

PATGuard 3 Forum

Testing Equipment rack with mixed class equipment

Postby Andy Gibb » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:06 pm

Hi,
I am testing in a venue which has a number of equipment racks with Audio/Visual equipment. There are around 40 pieces of equipment, most of which have their own power cord, along with a number of 4 or 6 way mains distributors. All powered via a mains conditioning unit from a 16A plug. There is access to the back but it is not easy at all and the cables are all bundled together.
Each rack includes Class I, Class II equipment as well as some low voltage gear powered by plug in transformers.

I can't decide if I should test the entire installation as one (and how as I suspect the cumulative leakages would merit a fail), or test each piece of equipment individually?

Although the installation is fixed, equipment is removed and reinstalled occasionally to be used in other locations.

Thanks
Andy
Andy Gibb

Re: Testing Equipment rack with mixed class equipment

Postby Alan Freeman » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:42 pm

Andy

With my sons disco rig, which is similar but on wheels and uses commando plugs, I take every 13A-IEC lead out and test it, then test each item of equipment plugged directly into my tester, each 4/6/8 way block and the rack itself. Each has an asset number and label. The same goes for his "coffin" mixer/CD case.

In total his disco has over 100 tests done.
Alan Freeman

Re: Testing Equipment rack with mixed class equipment

Postby Stephen Armstrong » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:17 am

Thank you for your enquiry

If you have a mixture of class I and class II equipment which can be physically unplugged (not hard wired), then your safest approach would be to test all items individually. However, ultimately the Duty Holder is responsible, so you should consider a risk assessment.

Kind regards
Technical Support
Stephen Armstrong
Technical Sales Engineer

Return to Portable Appliance Testing