PAT Testing Hard Wired Smoke Alarms

PATGuard 3 Forum

PAT Testing Hard Wired Smoke Alarms

Postby exe-pat » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:32 pm

Hi,

One of my customers, a landlord of holiday rentals, has asked me if he needs to have his permanently wired mains powered smoke alarm PAT tested. Notwithstanding the 4th Edition being pretty clear on inspection and testing of fixed equipment or appliances (CoP 5.5.1), I have not included smoke alarms before, considering them to be similar to lighting that is part of the Fixed Electrical Installation (ceiling and wall lights). I couldn't reach up that high anyway ;)

I have never heard of one of these causing a fire or any other safety issue but it occurs to me now these devices are mains powered circuit failure could possibly cause overheating. What say you ?

What do other testers think or do regarding smoke and possibly other fire or security type alarms permanently fixed to ceilings and walls ?

Cheers from exe-pat
exe-pat

Re: PAT Testing Hard Wired Smoke Alarms

Postby Stephen Armstrong » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:24 am

Thank you for your enquiry,

With regards to this post, we think the issue is not if the CoP covers this situation or not, but what is a sensible approach to the level of risk presented by the alarms.

Normally as part of the fixed installation the alarm circuit will be subjected to inspection and testing as part of the regular periodic inspection and testing process carried out at an interval specified by the duty holder. In addition to this often some form of on-going inspection routine and functional checking is usually recommended, especially with holiday lets, to cover theft / damage etc. and to ensure that the accommodation is safe at the start of the let.

Therefore, it is basically down to the duty holder to do a risk assessment and put in place the control measures deemed necessary to mitigate the risk to an acceptable level.
Stephen Armstrong
Technical Sales Engineer

Return to Portable Appliance Testing