Seaward 350 Auto Mode Tests Help!

PATGuard 3 Forum

Seaward 350 Auto Mode Tests Help!

Postby CommodoreS » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:11 am

I have got a Seaward PrimeTest 350 and am just trying to get my head around the auto mode tests, and to also make sure the settings for these are correct.

A- Portable/Handheld/IT CLI
Visual Test > Earth Continuity (0.15) > Insulation (250v - 1.00)

B- Portable/Handheld/IT CLII
Visual Test > Insulation (250v - 2.00)

C- IEC Mains Lead 2m
Visual Test > IEC Lead Continuity (0.25) > Insulation (500v - 1.00) > IEC Lead Wiring

D- 13A 5m Surge Protected Lead
Visual Test > IEC Lead Continuity (0.20) > Insulation (250v - 1.00) > IEC Lead Wiring

F- Portable CLI PE Current
Visual Test > Earth Continuity (0.20) > Insulation (500v - 1.00) > PE Conductor Current (0.75)

G- Portable CLII Touch Current
Visual Test > Insulation (500v - 2.00) > Touch Current (0.25)

H- IT Equip CLI PE Current
Visual Test > Earth Continuity (0.20) > Insulation (250v - 1.00) > PE Conductor Current (3.50)

I- IT Equip CLII Touch Current
Visual Test > Insulation (250v - 2.00) > Touch Current (0.75)

My main question is what is the difference between tests A, B, F, G and H, I. E.g. what tests should be used on what type of equipment.

I am presuming H and I should be used on all electronic and IT equipment and F and G should be used on all other non-IT equipment. So what should Tests A and B be used on?

Also should test C be used for extension leads as well as IEC leads and D for Surge Protected leads.

I also wondered if it possible to enter a manual test sequence for Microwaves and how this would be done?

I went on a course, but it was with a different tester and this one seems a bit more complicated. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Read more: http://www.electriciansforums.co.uk/pat-testing/65470-seaward-350-auto-mode-tests-help.html#ixzz28tDeyXFx
CommodoreS

Re: Seaward 350 Auto Mode Tests Help!

Postby jonathan » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:37 am

I believe you should be using A - Portable/Handheld IT Class I for computers, monitors, that sort of thing as these are classed as portable (they can be moved around, are not usually screwed to the floor).

IT equipment also includes things such as POS, so a supermarket till may not be a portable device but is still IT equipment. Not sure about the scanners, I suppose if it's low voltage LED lasers then they would be normal IT, but high voltage laser tubes could be a different kettle of fish. If in doubt, use the low power option to avoid damaging the equipment; I think the PT350 only has this option anyway, only the large mains powered testers can do 25A tests.

I haven't yet come across a Class II piece of IT equipment.

I would use C for IEC and extensions / 4gang. The key difference is in the voltage for surge protected plugs - 500v will probably cause the test to fail, so you have to use 250v. This can be set on the PT250 before commencing the IEC test, on the PT350 you can configure the parameters in a Manual Test but the results would not be stored in memory (this only happens when in Auto Mode as far as I'm aware).

I have created my own two test sequences for IT equipment - CLI Rpe/SUB and CLI SUB...

CLI Rpe/SUB
Visual Test
Earth continuity - Limit = 0.12 (5 seconds)
Substitute Leakage - Limit = 3.50 (2 seconds)

CLI SUB
Visual Test
Substitute Leakage - Limit = 3.50 (2 seconds)

Basically, the second one is where I want to omit the earth bond test because there is nothing external to touch the probe to. It is OK to do this as if I can't connect my probe to metal, users can't touch metal.

If you play around making your own test sequences, you should learn what they are about better. Use your Code of Practice book for reference as to which tests you should be including.

Hope I got that right, and that it helped.
jonathan

Return to Portable Appliance Testing