HSE

PATGuard 3 Forum

Re: HSE

Postby Jim Wallace » Mon May 21, 2012 11:09 pm

Hi Safe +

The new IET CoP will hopefully clarify some of the above as the HSE are one of the contributors. I will raise the points you make at the next review meeting. Don't aplogise for the cynicism - if the guidance is not clear it's best raised now rather than after the CoP has gone to print.

BS EN 62638 wont add a lot of clarity because its a generic guide on how to perform electrical inspection and testing. It was written as an IEC standard, then becomes an EN and then BS. The IEC rules are that we had to make it generic as it's an international standard. For example, I included suggested retest periods but these had to be removed as they are a UK requirement and other countries have different national requirements. Hopefully having BS status will give it a bit more clout but we will still need additional guidance on our UK regulations.

One of the challenges when producing guidance is the fact that it is purely guidance and not mandatory - where you want to say "you must" or "you shall" you have to write "you may.....you should"

The IET CoP does apply to both plug connected and permanently connected appliances but I can see that some clarification is needed in terms of what is part of the fixed installation and what is an appliance.

Perhaps it will all become crystal clear when we get to the 23rd editon of the CoP.... ;-)
Jim Wallace
Associate Director, Seaward Product and Technology

Postby safe + sound » Tue May 22, 2012 9:16 am

Hi Jim

Clarity on what is considered fixed installation and what is not, has to be a priority. The 3rd edition almost got there, and to quote LED
led wrote: a double dose of common sense is also required
safe + sound

Postby Jim Wallace » Wed May 23, 2012 12:43 pm

Hi S+S

It has already been discussed in some detail for the 4th edition and I hope its a lot clearer. At the moment the document is a draft but I will ask permission from the IET to get feedback from PAT practioners. If they are OK with this I will PM you and any one else interested in commenting on the text.
Jim Wallace

Postby safe + sound » Thu May 24, 2012 9:00 am

Hi Jim

If you can arrange it, I would be happy to give feedback
safe + sound

Postby Jim Wallace » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:29 pm

Hi S+S

There is an IET review meeting in June - I'll enquire about obtaining input from users of our forum and let you know.
Jim Wallace

Postby Guardian » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:10 am

Hi Jim,

We run an electrical testing firm and queries over fixed/portable as well as frequencies of test are the most common topics that come up with customers and the people on site carrying out the work.
If possible we would also be both willing and grateful if we could be of assistance with regard to the draft of the next COP.
Guardian

Postby Guardian » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:28 am

On a further note, with the new COP being a British Standard, does this bring PAT testing more in line with fixed wire testing (thinking of BS 7671) in terms of being enforced?
Guardian

Postby Jim Wallace » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:02 pm

Hi Guardian

Your offer of assistance is noted. The new CoP will not be a British Standard. A CoP can only ever be considered best practise. There is a draft IEC standard which is current going through the voting process and if successful, this would be adopted as a European Standard (EN) and then as a BS EN.

I will publish something on here as a new thread once I have recieved the results of the voting.
Jim Wallace

Postby Jim Wallace » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:34 pm

Hi

I'm curious why folks would feel they do not need any testing carried out until 2015. The recent HSE guidance relates specifically to equipment used in low risk environments and points out that in the case of Class II equipment the intervals between inspection and testing can in many cases be increased (or they may not be a need for inspection and testing. However, Class I equipment still needs inspection and testing at intervals based on risk assessment. The requirement has not gone away, it is simply the case that it should be based on a formal risk assessment rather than blanket testing of every electrical item every 12 months.
Jim Wallace

Postby SAFET4U_UK » Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:41 pm

Although I am a new comer to PAT I believe that the relaxation of rules pertaining to the frequency , types of appliances and future exemptions will not override the customers need to show that the duty of care has been fully complied with in a case of litigation, and in the compensation culture that we live in it would be far easier for a client to side step a case of litigation by them handing as much of the duty of care responsibility to their PAT company as possible. 80p an appliance is a small price to pay for peace of mind
SAFET4U_UK

Previous

Return to Portable Appliance Testing