Frequency of testing

PATGuard 3 Forum

Frequency of testing

Postby enchantersnight » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:05 pm

I am trying to write a SOP for how to PAT test the equipment at work and have a few questions. We are basically a laboratory and offices so have telephones, faxes heaters etc. but also large freezers and small/large laboratory equipment.

Can someone tell me the frequency of when different items should be tested? I think we were going to say large items visually once a year and full test if ever moved. Computers visually once a year but am not sure for may small appliances in lab e.g. pipettes, microfuges.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Re: Frequency of testing

Postby PATconstructive » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:33 pm

The frequency of testing should ideally be determined by a professional tester. Factors that influence the frequency of inspection and test would be the environment in which the electrical equipment will be used as well as usage/users of the equipment.

The IEE code of practice offers guidance in the form of a look up table which suggests the initial frequency of inspection and testing of equipment which covers most conditions but these are subject to interpretation. These may need to be varied by the tester depending upon environment, usage and/or results obtained after tests have been carried out. i.e. the frequency of inspections/tests may change during its life cycle.

I would suggest your best course of action to complete your task would be to involve the tester/test company that you propose to use to and to take their advice on this matter.

Re: Frequency of testing

Postby Jim Wallace » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:15 pm

Hi Alison

As PAT constructive says, the IEE Code of Practise will give recommended frequencies for inspection and testing for various types of equipment. The guidance takes into account factors such as the class of construction, environment, type of equipment and is a good starting point. The IEE CoP is considered best practise and worth a read.
Jim Wallace
Associate Director, Seaward Product and Technology

Return to Portable Appliance Testing