Class 1 appliance Failed insulation test

PATGuard 3 Forum

Class 1 appliance Failed insulation test

Postby CMSIT » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:35 pm

Hi, We use a Seaward Europa Plus for testing inhouse at various sites. One of them has what looks like a 'pre-war' bench grinder. Using the standard tests for Class 1 Handheld, it fails the insulation test where it applies a 500v DC across the Earth and Live and Neutral pins. It gives a reading of <0.01 MOhm (from the Patguard print out) and fails. It suggests that if an appliance fails it might have an overvoltage protection and try the 250v settings. I tried this and it also fails.

There is a more modern similar appliance which passed the same test. Looking at the results on the actual tester...
the passed appliance shows
TEST OUTPUT LIMIT RESULT
INSULATION 500vDC 1.00 MOhm 33.35
the failed appliance shows
TEST OUTPUT LIMIT RESULT
INSULATION 500vDC 1.00 MOhm <0.10

I have failed the appliance and told them not to use it.

My question is : Are there any circumstances during which an appliance would fail this test but still be deemed safe, or is it an automatic fail?

Any help would be appreciated,

Gary
CMSIT

Re: Class 1 appliance Failed insulation test

Postby Duff1 » Wed May 04, 2011 2:49 pm

With the exception you've already identified ie overvoltage protection, I would say no to your question. I too would of failed it <0.01Mohms is off the bottom of the scale, this suggests a short somewhere? I've found overvoltage protection usually gives a reading around 0.3Mohms with a 500v test. If you're getting different extreme readings then maybe there is a loose wire or something floating around inside? So fail it, investigate further if you have time?
:)
Duff 1
Duff1

Re: Class 1 appliance Failed insulation test

Postby CMSIT » Wed May 25, 2011 12:31 pm

Hello,

Thanks for your reply. FYI ( and anyone else ), i failed the appliance. The client got someone out to 'fix' it. It looks like they replaced the fixed power cable. I re-tested the appliance and it passed the tests.

Thanks,

Gary
CMSIT

Return to Portable Appliance Testing