Main Power Transformer Supernova 3760 XE

PATGuard 3 Forum

Re: Main Power Transformer Supernova 3760 XE

Postby Jim Wallace » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:09 pm

Hi Southseas

Does sound like the insulation/power transformer again. Running 8A-9A wont cause a problem as the internals are rated for 16A continuous. Similarly, 110 tests over 6 hour period is not and excessive demand on the tester. The 3760XE is only sold in Aus/NZ but the Europa tester sold in the UK uses the same electronics and some customers are running in excess of 200 tests per day and we have no history of common problems with the insulation/power transformer. I'll ask or service and engineering departments again and see if they have any suggestions.
Jim Wallace
Associate Director, Seaward Product and Technology

Postby southseas » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:09 pm

Another one of our group has had am issue with the Main Power Transformer, that's three in a year now in NZ that I know of, agin this fellow mentioned that he'd been busy in the few weeks before it blew. What about 25Amp bond tests, would running lot's of those cause this?
southseas

Postby Jim Wallace » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:44 pm

The 25A earth bond test can generate some heat internally but the earth bond test has it's own transformer which is independent of the combi transformer used to produce the low voltage power supply and insulation test voltage.
Jim Wallace
Associate Director, Seaward Product and Technology

Postby southseas » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:41 am

Thought I'd cooked another power transformer Thursday, did one client (29 Tests). Went to next one, set up and ran first test, IR - Fail .1Meg......Oh no, not another power transformer thought I. Tried a couple of my own leads and they failed IR .1Meg too, buggar, must be the power transformer.

Then I thought, it didn't show declining IR values(as has happedned on previous two PS meltdowns), tried turning the tester off and restarting.......................Ran IR tests on previously failing items, and now they're fine....................Can't say I am impressed with the reliability of this gear.
southseas

Postby southseas » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:36 am

Update on this thread, doing some factory item testing over the weekend- 70 on Saturday, and about 120 on Sunday. Started to get the declining IR test result, even with nothing connected, looks like another trip back to the NZ service agent for my orgional Super Nova
southseas

Postby sophiawhite » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:10 pm

Tell me how it is sufficient and how much capacity it takes. Also the consuming power ?
sophiawhite

Postby southseas » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:47 am

Just packaged up my number two machine, ran 45 tests last Sunday week and got the symptoms of another power supply on it's way out- back to the Seaward agent in Auckland for another holiday. :evil:
southseas

Previous

Return to Portable Appliance Testing