The following document is intended to be a troubleshooting guide to ensure you are downloading your Supernova / Europa in the correct manner. Please check all aspects of this before contacting the technical support helpline.
1) Check your Serial (RS232) Cable. This should be the Seaward supplied serial cable. It will have a white tag, with the information printed. "For use with the following testers, both Up & Download Only, Supernova...." And on the other side the Part No. 194A919 or 44B113.
2) Are you using a straight through Serial connection, or is this via a Serial to USB adaptor. If so we can only guarantee that a USB adaptor supplied by us will work as this has been tried and tested with our cable. More information and purchase details for this adapter can be found here or call our sales team.
3) Open or create a new database in PATGuard 3 select “Instruments” and then “Add a Test Instrument” using the icon
4) At this point it is also advisable to click the settings button and ensure your options are set as below;
5) Select “Data Transfer” and “Download from Tester”.
6) Select the instrument from the dropdown box and then select the COM port. Select “Database” and then “OK”, at this point you will receive a message “Please start your transmission now";
7) You will now need to configure your tester for the download.
- At the main menu, scroll down to “Download Results”, and press the green button.
- At this point a screen will pop up, ensure your screen is set up as per the Screen shot below. Changes can be made by highlighting the required function, then pressing the Green Button to scroll through.
- Once your tester is set to the correct parameters press OK, you will then be taken to a search function. Set the search parameters as required or to download everything from the tester leave the screen as it first appears. Press the soft key directly below the Start Search option on the screen.
- A process bar will show up on the screen of the tester, and within the software you should see an indication of data being received, as shown below.
- The software will process the data, and then produce your Sites, Location and Assets within the Database.
8) NOTE: If you have problems with the COM port:
- Please ensure your com port is the correct one, usually for Serial connection this tends to be COM4 to COM14 (COM7 in example below). You will now need to configure your tester for the download.
- In the PC Device Manager look for ‘Ports (COM & LPT)’, click the ‘+’ sign to expand the ports out. From the list double click on the Communications Port you use.
- Another pop up will appear for the COM Port chosen, click the tab at the top ‘Port Settings’. Ensure that your port settings match those shown in the picture below.